Program Manager Disaster Risk Reduction, Malawi
Why we need you!
Nowadays, people all over the world are facing natural hazards like earth quakes, floods, and cyclones. A very recent example is the massive disaster cyclone Idai has caused in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe. To what extent these hazards have impact on people’s lives is directly related to their vulnerability. For the most vulnerable people, these natural hazards can turn into life taking disasters. Belgian Red Cross – Flanders (BRC-FL) has the mission to strengthen resilience of these people by enhancing their capacity to cope when natural hazards occur. One of the seven basic principles of the Red Cross is universality. Helping each other and standing in solidarity are our reasons for existence. We are active around the world and provide long-term help in countries where it is needed. To that end, we always work in partnership with the local Red Cross National Societies.
In Malawi, BRC-FL leads several disaster risk reduction programs funded by the European Commission - Humanitarian Aid & Civil Protection (ECHO) and by the Flemish government. For these programs, which have the aim to increase resilience to shocks in rural and urban areas of Malawi, we are looking for a ‘disaster risk reduction program manager’. The projects are implemented over 1 to 2 years.
The job of program manager in Malawi consists of 3 focus areas:
1. Coordinating the implementation of one of the disaster risk reduction programs:
- You are the overall end-responsible for one of the disaster risk reduction projects. This project is implemented by the Malawi Red Cross (MRCS) in close collaboration with Belgian Red Cross-Flanders;
- You will form the bridge between the local Red Cross and Belgian Red Cross – Flanders which means you will provide operational and managerial assistance to the local Red Cross in order to ensure successful, qualitative and timely implementation of the project;
- You are able at all times to keep up to date with the current state of affairs of the ongoing activities (close compliance with the schedule, budget and KPIs) and take proactive measures to avoid any bottlenecks, delays or other problems;
- You monitor the local Red Cross’ compliance with procedures during the execution of the projects (logistics/administration/finances), paying particular attention to the correct use of resources and the complete documentation of this;
- You ensure the timely and qualitative reporting and management of the project using the Belgian Red Cross - Flanders project management tools;
2. Representing BRC-FL within the area and strengthening our partnership with MRCS by:
- Maintaining close contact with representatives of the Belgian Federal government and the Flemish government, the European Commission and other relevant actors;
- Ensuring an effective information flow between BRC-FL and those actors.
- Building strong bridges between MRCS and BRC-FL on strategy, policy and activities;
- Identifying new project opportunities and elaborating on project proposals in close collaboration with MRCS;
3. Ensuring efficient management of the local office by:
- Managing vehicle(s), materials and the delegation budget;
- Closely monitoring the security situation.
You report to the Head of Humanitarian Assistance of BRC-FL and work closely with the various colleagues in Malawi and at the headquarters of BRC-FL.
What do we expect from you?
- You possess a Master’s degree, preferably in sciences or economics, and have at least four years of professional experience in project management;
- Knowledge of disaster preparedness, epidemic preparedness or disaster risk reduction is an asset but not a must;
- Experience in the humanitarian or development aid sector is not a prerequisite, we are open to all kind of backgrounds;
- You are result-oriented, hands-on and able to work independently;
- Your flexibility, proactivity and creativity help you in responding effectively to changing circumstances, urgent deadlines and unexpected delays;
- You possess strong social and communication skills and with your enthusiasm you can motivate others to achieve common goals;
- You have an excellent command of English, spoken and written, knowledge of French is an asset;
- You can work with the most common software tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Sharepoint, etc.);
- You hold an international driving licence.
- An exciting and relevant challenge within an internationally recognized humanitarian organization, which can make an important difference to the most vulnerable people in our world;
- An international work environment where you can gain valuable international experience and have great possibilities for personal development;
- Employment contract of indefinite duration;
- Beginning of contract: 15/07/2019;
- Compensation based on BRC-FL salary scales and seniority, including overseas social security and comprehensive insurance;
- A paid yearly ticket to your home country;
- Non-accompanied posting.
Place of employment:
The place of employment is Lilongwe, Malawi, with regular visits to the provinces.
Apply online. Be sure to attach your CV (max. 3 pages) and a letter of application.Solliciteren