Want to donate platelets?
400 billion platelets
Platelets are smallest cell particles in your blood. An adult will have 150-400 billion platelets in every liter of blood. Among other things, platelets ensure that the blood clots when required. They have a very short shelf-life.
Platelets – the key to life
Platelet transfusions have saved countless lives, for example patients with leukemia or cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Chemotherapy treatment can cause platelet levels to fall so low that the patient may suffer spontaneous hemorrhaging. In such situations, supplying platelets will save their life.
Ready to give platelets? That’s fantastic – you’ll be saving a lot of lives!
- Who? Fill in our donor self-assessment test and find out immediately if you are eligible to donate platelets.
- How often can I give platelets? You can give platelets every 14 days. However, you must first have given blood at least once.
- How long does it take? Platelet collection takes 60-90 minutes.
- What happens when I give platelets? We have put together a step-by-step guide to what to expect when you give platelets.
- Where can I give platelets? Since a special device is required to collect platelets, you can only donate at special donor centers.