Want to donate blood?
Blood performs a range of functions
Your blood carries oxygen, heat, nutrients and hormones around your body, and eliminates all kinds of waste products from it. Your blood also protects you against external micro-organisms such as viruses and bacteria. It is also crucial in regulating your body temperature.
Red blood cells – the key to life
Red blood cells are given to patients with anemia or who are experiencing severe hemorrhaging, for example following and accident or an operation.
Michael is healthy again
“When Michael was born, he was very sick. He had anemia and had to be given several blood transfusions. They swapped his blood for donor blood until the condition was completely cured. Since then, he’s had no problems and he’s now a lively, healthy six-year-old enjoying pre-school.” Michael’s mother, Julie
Ready to give blood? That’s great news for lots of people!
- Who? Fill in our donor self-assessment test and find out immediately if you are eligible to donate blood.
- How often can I give blood? You can give blood up to four times a year, with at least 60 days between each donation.
- How long does it take? Giving blood takes about an hour, although the actual blood collection normally only takes about nine minutes.
- What happens when I give blood? We have put together a step-by-step guide to what to expect when you give blood
- Where can I give blood? You can give blood in your local area or at one of our donor centers.